He is experienced in providing legal advice, drawing Wills and Trusts, and assisting executors and administrators in applications for Grants of Probate and Administration.
He has acted for plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of will and estate disputes, including Wills Variation claims, unjust enrichment claims, incapacity and undue influence claims, trust claims, interpretation of Wills, disputes over joint accounts, and contested executor’s accounts.
He has experience negotiating settlements, including negotiated settlements at mediation, and he has conducted trials in the Supreme Court of British Columbia, and appeals in the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
Stan is a graduate of the University of British Columbia in History (Honours) and the University of Toronto Law School. He was called to the Bar in British Columbia in 1989.
He is a member and former director of the British Columbia Law Institute.
He is the past chair of the National Wills, Estates and Trusts Section of the Canadian Bar Association. He is also a past chair and current member of the Okanagan Wills and Trusts subsection of the Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, and a past President and current member of the Kelowna Estate Planning Society. He is also a member of the International Society of Estate and Trust Practitioners, Vancouver Branch.
Stan is a frequent lecturer and writer on Wills, Estates and related disputes. He has presented the following papers at courses for lawyers for the Continuing Legal Education Society:
- “Wills Variation Act Considerations” Basics in Wills and Estate Planning for Lawyers in 2006;
- “Unjust Enrichment and Constructive Trusts” Estate Litigation, 2007 Update;
- “Quebec Notarial Wills” "Valuation of Assets in a Rising or Falling Market" and "Wills Written Wholly or Partly in Another Language" Out of the Ordinary Problems in Ordinary Estates in 2008;
- “Wills Variation Act” Estate Litigation Basics for Lawyers in 2008;
- “Secret Trusts” Estate Litigation – 2009 Update;
- “Challenging Inter Vivos Transfers and Beneficiary Designations” Estate Litigation Basics for Lawyers in 2010;
- "Delusions and Impact on Capacity" Estate Litigation Update in 2011;
- "Fraudulent Conveyances and inter vivos Transactions," Estate Litigation Basics-2012 Update;and
- "Reining in the Rogue Trustee/ Executor," Estate Litigation-2014 Update.
He has been a speaker at the Victoria Wills and Trusts, the Okanagan Wills and Trusts and the Okanagan Family Law subsections of the Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch; UBC Okanagan; the Vernon Estate Planning Society; and on several occasions at the Kelowna Estate Planning Society.
He is the author of Rule of Law blog, which was listed as a top Canadian legal blog in the March 2008 edition of Canadian Lawyer Magazine.
Stapleton v Doe, 2017 B.C.S.C. 12
Sutherland v. Dorland, 2012 B.C.S.C. 615
Perasso v. Perasso, 2011 B.C.S.C. 230
Schipper v. Schipper Estate, 2010 B.C.S.C. 1067
Moyes v. Ollerich Estate, 2005 B.C.C.A. 518
Areas of Practice
Stan practices in the following areas:
- Estate Disputes & Litigation
- Estate Planning, Wills, Powers of Attorney
- Estate Administration
- Corporate and Commercial
Visit Stan's Blog
by Stanley T. Rule, Sabey Rule LLP.